Project: Chance Cards (Grant Proposal Draft)

Kames: you polled the forum with the question “Should PoolTogether Grants fund (given a reasonable budget request) Chance Cards?”. You asked us a question, and I responded by saying I couldn’t vote properly without knowing more information. I’m trying to engage with your poll in an honest and constructive way.

I’m not playing any games. I’ve been thinking a lot about these kinds of questions recently, so I’ll give you some background:

Over the last three weeks senior members of the community (including PT Inc) have been meeting to discuss an official PoolTogether DAO. We’ve mapped out the broad strokes, and are nearly ready to present it for broader feedback. Much of my time has been dedicated to this over the last few weeks, so it’s top-of-mind for me. The Constitution, posted recently, is the first step in establishing the DAO.

In particular, the DAO will:

• Define our high-level strategy and goals. This will help teams align their efforts towards a common goal.
  • Define a unified compensation structure. This will ensure people feel fairly compensated, no matter how they contribute.
  • Define a process for accountability. We need to help teams stay aligned and are performing as promised.
  • Define a process to on-board new teams. We want to streamline the creation of new teams and provide a clear framework under which to operate.
  • Establish regular communication across teams.

The details will be forthcoming this week in a post; the group is nearly done defining the DAO framework and will want to gather feedback from the community.

Now with respect to your poll, this is why I’m thinking about accountability and budgeting. These two items are an important part of the framework.

As for your idea, I think it’s awesome! I want to see it executed well, and I want to support this effort. I think it’s also worth exploring different ways that you could work with the DAO.

Here are a few observations:

• You stress the importance of partnerships and growth, and we have some wicked smaht people in our DAO that are pursuing partnerships already. Tim, in particular.
  • You estimate the project to take 6-12 months; that’s a big on-going effort!

It seems to me that there is a lot of synergy between your efforts and the DAO’s existing growth efforts, and that the project is pretty long-term. Rather than a grant, it feels to me that you should start a new Team within the new DAO framework. You’ll be part of the DAO, so you’ll be much more integrated than you would be with a simple grant.

I value your contributions, and I think there is a lot of value in working together. My goal is to setup the DAO so that we are ready to scale, and can easily incorporate new teams just like this one.

The first DAO framework post will drop next week. I’d like to revisit your proposal when you’ve had a chance to review the framework and give feedback. How does that sound?

3 Likes