PoolTogether DAOs purpose

Ahhh @tim, this phrasing <3

This thread has turned into a beast (positively)! Partly this could be to us extending the topic of the DAO’s purpose to far more than just that.

To all get on the same page I’ve summarized my understanding of the terminology in the hope we can tackle and clarify these points one by one.
Purpose

Answers the questions: Why do we exist? What do we believe?

Mission Statement

1-2 paragraphs that precisely explain why an organization exists.
Describes the desires and intent of the org, as well as the general and overarching organizational purpose.

Answers the questions: Why do we exist? Who do we serve? What do we provide?

Vision Statement

The future of what we aspire to be. Short declaration of the long-term goal. Forward-looking statement. Communicates the shared hopes, dreams, and image of the future.

Answers the questions: What do we want to become in the future? Where are we going?

Value Statement

A statement, series of words and phrases, or paragraphs that represent the core beliefs.
Represents how the organization operates, and how the leaders and members act and behave.

Answers the question: What do we stand for? The How, The Culture, …

Overall practicing its values should drive a group toward its goals.

Some of these things already have already been defined for PoolTogether but we have so far missed out to agree on them officially.

Mission Statement:

• “We make saving money fun.” (link), or more recently
  • “The world’s savings protocol, run by you.” (link)

This applies to the PoolTogether protocol and it feels like if the DAO wants to have a separate definition it should support those above.

Vision:

The endgame of PoolTogether is replacing savings accounts and lotteries. The first step is becoming the first viral DeFi protocol to break into the mainstream.
› Leighton on PoolTogether Narrative Guide

[…] The PoolTogether protocol will be the underlying infrastructure for prize savings around the world.
› Brendan on PT Inc. Vision and Roadmap for 2022

A protocol that is integrated across crypto and institutional products. Our goal is that PoolTogether becomes the financial infrastructure that powers all prize savings globally.
› Brendan on PT Inc. Vision and Roadmap for 2022

This again applies to the PoolTogether protocol. Since the DAO is the community of token holders that actively governs the protocol I feel the vision is a fit for us. Possible would be to extend it with accessibility or the “community-led, community-driven”-aspect.

Values:
Our DAO’s values are strongly exemplified by the community but have never been articulated. With our growing structures and network of contributors, it’s definitely time to do so now.

I see PoolTogether not only as a protocol-DAO but also as a purpose-DAO driven by the goal to serve the people.

I like the above a lot already and think that echoes the community well. I’m also a fan of @mkkoll’s constitution attempt. Our truth is probably somewhere in the middle of both. Simple to understand but still actionable for daily decision-making.

The discourse forum doesn’t make it easy to collaborate and this is definitely a topic for many minds. Up to share a doc if you are @tim @mkkoll @DenicioDelToro1

5 Likes