What do you want in the next PoolTogether?

Poolers!

The PT Inc team has been hard at work coming up with ideas for the next version of PoolTogether. We’d like to hear from you too!

What do you want from the next PoolTogether?

• What do you feel is missing?
  • What would 100x the protocol?
  • What do you NOT like about the current PT?

I invite everyone to throw down ideas and feedback in this thread! Let’s hear every idea, big or small.

:bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb:

:point_down: :point_down: :point_down: :point_down: :point_down:

8 Likes

V4 worked as intended in solving several issues.

• The issue of whales winning the bulk of the prizes
  • Having several prize pools meant that instead of generating one big grand prize we generated several smaller prizes so there was concern we were fragmenting the prize.
  • We cut operational costs by making it so the protocol did not have to pay to distribute the prizes and instead users claimed them.
  • We became multichain.

Drawbacks of V4

• Switching to and being stuck on daily prizes as opposed to weekly was a mistake as it ensured we were not presenting a nice headliner prize and there is no opportunity to win life changing money depositing on Pooltogether currently.
  • Having no means of collecting a reserve and instead actually subsidizing the prizes going out from the treasury added to negative impact to POOL holders. Pool depositors were doing just fine but anyone invested in POOL had little to look forward to. V3 was subsidized by whales while V4 was subsidizes by POOL holders.
  • One of the original plans for V4 was swappable yield source but in the end that was too much of a security risk and not having that included really eliminated the benefits of having one single pool in order to not fragment the prize. If we had stuck to the V3 model of multiple pools then users would have had the chance to migrate to the pools generating the most yield and also fits their own comfort level.
  • Switching to V4 made pods obsolete and was a missed an opportunity where we could have created no loss games.
  • V4 eliminated a lot of partnership opportunities as creating pools for other protocols via the pool builder was no longer an option. Partnerships with other crypto communities is a fantastic way to grow our own community and I feel V4 isolated Pooltogether from working with a lot of other defi communities.

What’s missing for me is.

• Life changing prizes
  • Income to treasury
  • Partnership opportunities
  • More yield sources
  • More assets
  • POOL holders included in the fun.
12 Likes

The thing that is missing is a CHANCE at significant prizes that can make a major impact for small depositors. I think this can be achieved by creating some form of a progressive jackpot which could utilize TWAB as well. Taking some % of the total yield each day for a prize to be awarded every 3 / 6 / 12 months could be substantial.

As with most crypto projects we don’t need to sell a reality but the potential (hype) of it. So even if there is only 1 winner every progressive prize interval, just the chance to win is enough to market and get people excited. I doubt I would ever win that kind of prize (or grand prize) but just having the chance to is enough to keep my deposit in PoolTogether.

Having the potential for a large Jackpot prize is what gets people excited! Similar to the camera crew showing up at someone’s home and handing them a giant check. The people who watch that on the news or commercials are instantly drawn in and imagine themselves in that scenario.

Let’s emulate that feeling in PoolTogether in a safe & responsible way!

7 Likes

i want models in red dreses presenting my my winning numbers :wink:
or at least an animated nft when i win NSFW

1 Like

Delegating PTaUSDC from the treasury to random people on twitter and reddit. Delegation is such an unbelievable PoolTogether’s feature. Other protocols could benefit from it immensely, it just somehow needs to be advertised. What is a better advertisement than using the feature ourselves?

4 Likes

Thank you for seeking our input. These are my zoomed-out considerations, not so much specific feature requests.

Growth I think we need a clear path to growth for the network of pools concept before we build further into it. As I see it, the network is intended to bootstrap pools and aggregate to a headline prize. I don’t think either have shown to be true in the first year of V4. Consensus in the community that we are on a shared path to grow the protocol is important to me. I think the concept of V5 should be approved by POOL holders. I appreciate this thread as an invitation to participate in the process.

Decentralization Ideally this means POOL token holders directly control the protocol while it remains as minimally custodial as possible. I hope for a protocol design that minimizes required stewardship and where necessary governance has direct control of the protocol. Multi-sigs should be a last resort.

Autonomous Prize connected to yield. I’m happy to kill my own job as exec-team lead. Prize disconnected from yield adds centralization and complications that I think move us away from the ethos of DeFi.

Permissionless I think everyone agrees we need to enable more yield sources and assets. I’m a huge fan of a permissionless pools model ala PoolTogether V3 and Uniswap liquidity pools. Anyone can launch a prize pool. Like @TheRealTuna said there is a lot of growth potential in partnerships and marketing that comes with prize pools for all communities.

Composability At the core of many successful DeFi protocols is composability. Delegating tickets in V4 is a great feature. Can we build tickets to be composable - retaining chance while leveraging deposits into other protocols?

Excitement I agree with @TheRealTuna and @AndyKaufman - we need excitement in prizes. Is our value proposition a chance at an outsized return? At our current scale I don’t think there is enough potential for that in daily prizes. I’m skeptical that less frequent but randomly occurring prizes are the solution. If our bigger prizes are random I think we need a rollover mechanism where the prize value builds the longer its not awarded.

5 Likes

Introducing: “The Shallow End” by PoolTogether.

“The No Risk way to Jump In Today!”

I had an idea that might not be “technically” possible (now) hence why I am sharing it here!

Onboarding from INSIDE or from OUTSIDE of “crypto” is the HURDLE we face every day.

Example Objection: I’m not sure about depositing in PT, I have a savings account.

Response: I agree, Let’s try a small deposit in “The Shallow End”, After 90 days if you feel comfortable then add more! Did I mention that you win a mini-prize EVERY day for the 1st 30 days?

** :point_right: What is The Shallow End? An additional PT UI front end with ONLY 2 deposit options.**

**"Shallow End" or "Deep End"**

Shallow End is a 90 Day or Quarterly Product. Time based deposit? This is the SUPER power of the “Shallow End”, using TIME to power the Prizes like a massive tidal wave building in the distance.

:no_entry_sign: NOT TVL :no_entry_sign: NOT AAVE % :no_entry_sign: NOT OP GRANTS :point_right::point_right: TIME Subsidizes the Prizes! :fire:

NOW Pool Together can offer “The Shallow End” to onboard unsure people
by starting small and slow for the 1st 90 days, assuming all is agreeable of course.

Stipulations: In order to STAY TRUE to the PT Non Custodial Protocol values I’ve come up with the
Early Withdraw Penalty = ANY & ALL prizes From Day 1 ALL return to the Prize Pool. (Not Deposit)

If you are winning every single day, no matter the amount… It’s cognitive dissonance to withdraw!

Deep End PoolTogether Protocol displayed Juxtaposed on the “The Shallow End” UI.

Balance: As the chance to win BIGGER Prizes Increases, the “daily” droplets reduce over time.

Day 1-30

• Depositors “Auto-win” a predetermined amount aka “Droplets” .50 cents to $1 DAILY = $30
  • “Droplet” amounts vary depending on TVL/AAVE%. OR v2 - Power by Delegators or Shallow End?
  • Every depositor will have little wins (which is nice) aka Instant gratification creating dissonance.
  • No chances to win in the normal PoolTogether Prize Pool during the first 30 days.
    (Simulating, NO RISK)

Day 31-60

• Depositors “Auto-win” a predetermined amount aka “Droplets” .25 cents to .50 DAILY = $15
  • 50% less “Droplets” during Days 31-60 compared to first 30 days. (1/2 Amount or 1/2 Time)
  • (Example EVERY OTHER DAY or half of the time) all of course depending on TVL/AAVE% on PT.
  • The Remaining 50% of TIME Depositors WILL BE deposited into the PoolTogether Prize Pool.
  • 50% of Days 30-60 Depositors can win prizes in the normal PoolTogether Prize Pool.
  • Depositors can win prizes plus the “Droplets” which = $15 for 30 Days.
    (Medium RISK Simulated)

Day 61-90

• Depositors are 100% in the PoolTogether Prize Pool. No daily droplets! No Floaties!
    (Simulating RISK, THE DEEP END)

Much like someone dipping a foot, then walking down the steps into the shallow end with their arms above water… step by step eventually they dip their head under then jump into the Deep End!

Its an EASY Analogous comparison to comprehend for anyone that cleanly fits into the PT Brand.

The Shallow End should be powered by almost all Teams: Marketing - Growth - Community - Prize and possibly even Protocol. At the very least possibly a different UI front end to access this product.

I understand that there are many challenges using the current Protocol for an Idea like this. However I also know If everyone came together, provided The Shallow End is a clear benefit to the Overall PT community, this is 100% possible.

Shallow End = 90 Day Non-Custodial Deposit Agreement.
Deep End = UI Front End to deposit into Pool Together Protocol.
Droplets = Daily micro payments sent to ALL depositors.
Early Withdraw Penalty = 100% of Prizes go back to prize pool.

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

AllAnon
:pray:

1 Like