Treasury Diversification

In general agreement with this proposal. A key purpose of a treasury is to ultimately ensure capital inflows exceed outflows (in the form of open and additional Capex to facilitate sustainable development efforts to grow the base in capital efficient manner). Diversification is a great weapon in the tool yard to enable this - especially as we see monthly price volatility for POOL at 13% and intra-day volatility (monthly) at 21% (for the past 30 days on the day of this post). Might be very cool to see if someone could build this out!

One example I especially like IndexCoop’s proposal on this front (where they seek to increase their treasury allocation of Eth to facilitate the ultimate end-goal of launch a smart Balancer pool) - and would hope that we can get to the same point with Pooltogether shortly.

On (1) - I’m in favour of ultimately boosting sponsorship as that is something that will ultimately lead to network effects in protocol as a short-term goal. What might be more helpful to see is the duration associated with the protocol sponsorship - and if that can lead to more consistent programs in allocating reserves towards this purpose (and thus understanding the cost of capital that we’re dedicating towards growth). If we can also get a broader community of users to contribute capital to yield-delegation vaults (similar to what Rally did) in exchange for POOL rewards, this might be an interesting direction to gauge what form of interest there is in the market - as opposed to going down the OTC route.

On (2) - Happy to consider this as long as there are relevant funding needs that need immediate consideration. Until then, might even consider diversifying holdings by getting exposure to an index product/Eth or some combination thereof which would require very little active monitoring.

But I am 100% onboard with the idea that it would be exceedingly important to have a symbiotic relationship with projects building on/adjacent to Pooltogether - and this is the way sustainable moats develop. There could be treasury needs to fund development of these - and ultimately have some of these projects efforts/capital/community flow back towards PT and bolster them both.

1 Like