Prize Adjustment #2

Does this calculation make the false assumption that all $1 prizes go to a single wallet that wins a single prize? I ran a query on draw 95 and the number of unique wallets that won a single $1 prize was 457. I’m not sure how you derived 1,212. Also I think you are assuming that if we eliminate $1 prizes that automatically deducts that entire prize count from the total. If we do not use the first tier, maybe we can change the bitrange? Part of the possibilities I don’t fully understand.

My number one problem with $1 prizes is the uncertainty of Polygon gas going forward. Yesterday people were complaining about the cost to claim on Polygon. Literally yesterday. Our claim transaction uses a lot of gas. If I thought that Polygon was going to be 40 gwei for the next two months on average I’d be happy to have $1 prizes. I don’t think that will be the case, and I’d hate to see us assume it will be. The number one complaint I’ve seen about Pool Together over the past year is the gas cost. Why would we put ourselves in a position to continue to suffer from that fate?

User experience matters a lot. I have onboarded a lot of people to V3 and V4. When the gas spam issue came up a few weeks ago I received texts of people withdrawing from V4. I’ve seen this happen on BSC. Low cost networks have historically not been sustainable. Polygon will still be relatively low cost and our claim will cost 80cents because its fundamentally high on gas usage.

I really urge people to think about the implications of our subsidies effectively going to Polygon validators. That’s not effective in my opinion. We have to assume gas will be a problem. It’s always been a huge problem for us.

If we proceed with $1 prizes, what will be our threshold for gas pain where will we take other action?

3 Likes